Tuesday, April 10, 2007

My Grandfather

This sunday is the annual Holocaust Memorial Commemoration. I always attend being that my grandfather is the only survivor of our entire family. It is a big deal and everyone should know what happened so they don't forget. At the commemoration 11 candles are lit in honor of the 11 million people killed 6 million being Jews and 5 million being non Jews. My grandfather, which I call Opa, has lit a candle each year as long as I can remember. Rose Van Tyn always gives her speech and does a wonderful job even though her accent is so strong you can barely understand her. Ther are awards given to high school students that send in essays they have written. There are 3 prizes. All different money amounts for kids to use for college. I think it is great. The news is always there and it is in the paper also. If anyone is interested it will be on Sunday at Summer Grove Baptist Church ,aka the old South Park Mall, at 3:30. Dress well.

No comments: